School Search Process
Apply for Pre-K in Kansas City
- Make sure you know what information each school requires
- Be clear about any deadlines that need to be met
- Check to see if you qualify for free and reduced lunch. Many Kansas City families who do qualify receive priority.
- Many Pre-K classrooms feed into kindergarten. When applying to schools check if your preferred kindergarten offers Pre-K.
- Plan a visit! After you’ve narrowed your choices to two or three, set up a visit.
Key Documents Most Pre-K Programs Require
- Completed application*
- Birth Certificate
- Current Immunization Record or Religious Exemption Statement
- Proof of Address (also called “Proof of Residency”)
- Parent or guardian photo ID
*Additional information may be required
Enroll online on the KCPS website
Initial applications for Pre-K open on December 6, 2021. The initial application period closes on February 15, 2022. Families will be notified about offers during the week of February 25. The deadline to accept seats and complete registration is March 7, 2022.
If families miss the February 15 deadline, they will be put on a first-come, first-served basis.
All KCPS Pre-K is no-tuition.
Submit applications online or in-person at the Board of Education building, 2901 Troost Ave., Kansas City, MO 64109. Applications CANNOT be submitted at schools.
A number of charter schools offer free, on-site Pre-K. To apply, visit the schools website or apply in-person.
A number of charter schools offer off-site Pre-K at cooperating early childhood centers. To enroll, families must qualify for free and reduced lunch. The application opens on November 13, 2021 and the deadline to apply is March 1, 2022. Families will be notified of their acceptance or waitlist status on March 7, 2022. If you qualify for and receive a spot in one of these Pre-K classes, you will be guaranteed a kindergarten spot in that charter school the following year.
Participating schools include:
- Académie Lafayette hosted at Emmanuel Family and Child Development Center
- Allen Village hosted at Emmanuel Family and Child Development Center
- Genesis School hosted at Emmanuel Family and Child Development Center
- Hogan Preparatory Academy hosted at Operation Breakthrough
- Lee A. Tolbert hosted at Operation Breakthrough
- Crossroads Academy hosted at St. Mark Center
- Citizens of the World hosted at St. Mark Center
- KIPP: Endeavor Academy KC hosted at St. Mark Center
- University Academy hosted at St. Mark Center
- Gordon Parks hosted at Upper Room
- KC International Academy hosted at Della Lamb
For more information visit kcprekcooperative.org.
Additional Pre-K Options
Faith-based and independent private schools have their own unique applications. To learn more, contact each school’s admissions coordinator for enrollment questions.
For Head Start programs, please contact MARC. They accept applications on a rolling basis for children up to age 5 and pregnant women. You can call or email MARCheadstart@marc.org for more information.
Our team can guide you through the process. Contact us and a School Navigator will be in touch to schedule a free consultation.